This Victorian Pollinator and Beneficial Insects Guide was created to aid the identification of pollinator and beneficial insects commonly found in Victoria.
The guide was originally compiled by Manu Saunders and Karen Retra with support from the Slopes to Summit Partnership and the NSW Environmental Trust. This version has been adapted by the Port Phillip & Westernport CMA and Agribusiness Yarra Valley with funding from the Victorian Government.
Printed copies of the guide
The Port Phillip & Westernport CMA is currently out of hard copies of the guide. New stock is expected in February 2021. Please sign up to the PPWCMA enews to be notified when they are available again.
Additional pollinator resources
The Pollinator and Beneficial Insects Guide provides a good starting point, but many species can look similar. Please see the references and websites listed if you would like help with accurate species identification.
- Aussie Bee
- Bee Aware
- Australian Museum – Bugwise
- Australia Museum – Pollination
- Museum Victoria – Victorian butterflies
- City of Melbourne – Insect Biodiversity
- PaDIL – Australian Pollinators
- Atlas of Living Australia
- Wild Pollinator Count
- Bees in the Burbs Facebook group
- Field Naturalist Club of Victoria Facebook group
- About the Eltham Copper Butterfly
- Video of a Trigger Plant in action