About the guide
This guide has been prepared to aid identification of a selection of pollinator and beneficial insects commonly found in Victoria.
The guide was originally compiled by Manu Saunders and Karen Retra with support from the Slopes to Summit Partnership and the NSW Environmental Trust. This version has been adapted by the Port Phillip & Westernport CMA and Agribusiness Yarra Valley with funding from the Victorian Government.
Note: Images marked WPC (Wild Pollinator Count) were taken by Manu Saunders, Karen Retra and James Abell.
Additional pollinator resources
The Pollinator and Beneficial Insects Guide provides a good starting point, but many species can look similar. Please see the references and websites listed if you would like help with accurate species identification.
- Aussie Bee
- Bee Aware
- Australian Museum – Bugwise
- Australia Museum – Pollination
- Museum Victoria – Victorian butterflies
- City of Melbourne – Insect Biodiversity
- PaDIL – Australian Pollinators
- Atlas of Living Australia
- Wild Pollinator Count
- Bees in the Burbs Facebook group
- Field Naturalist Club of Victoria Facebook group
- About the Eltham Copper Butterfly
- Video of a Trigger Plant in action
Request a printed copy
If you would like a printed copy of the Pollinator and Beneficial Insects Guide please complete the form below. Please note that these are in limited supply and we can only provide a maximum of two copies per person.
Community organisations can request up to 20 copies, to do so please contact Karen Thomas at email@example.com. We are happy to provide the print file to organisations wishing to print bulk quantities at their own cost.