Farms2Schools is an innovative program uses online school incursions to provide students with an insight into how agricultural products get from the paddock to their plate.
The program introduces students to farmers and agricultural industry workers from their local area, who share information about farming through a range of visual and practical activities.
Three Farms2Schools Officers are working with schools and farmers to deliver the program across all areas of the Port Phillip and Western Port region.
The Farms2Schools program concludes in December 2020 and the Port Phillip & Westernport CMA is no longer accepting expressions of interest from schools and farmers.
This project is delivered by the Port Phillip & Westernport CMA in partnership with AUSVEG VIC and is supported by the Victorian Government’s Working for Victoria initiative.
A range of resources and links have been developed as part of the Farms2Schools program. These aim to help teachers continue their lesson around sustainable agriculture with students. Please note that some resources are for specific ages levels so please read the descriptions.
Paddock to plate
The following resources show students how farmers grow produce and the supply chains deliver it to our plate. The below videos have been developed for specific year levels (as indicated).
Foundation to Grade 3 students
Grade 4 to Grade 12 Students
Buying Local Produce: Broccoli Activity Sheet (PDF – 1.9MB)Download
Plant production resources
The following resources will show students how some farms propagate and look after their own seedlings to plant out as crops in their paddocks.
In this video Tom from Mossy Willow Farm talks about the plant production side of their farm and the work that is involved in growing healthy seedlings to plant in their fields.
All of the following activities relate to plant production and growing. The recommended student age for each activity is noted in brackets.
- Grace’s Mystery Seed book (Foundation – Year 2)
- Photosynthesis activity sheet (primary students)
- Landcare Victoria – sow a seed, grow a feed activity sheet (primary students)
- Adventures at your place – importance of plants activity sheet (secondary students)
Nursery & Garden Industry Victoria also has some great curriculum-based resources for schools through their Victorian Schools Garden Program website.
Careers in agriculture
The following videos provide an insight into the career opportunities in agriculture and are a great starting point for in-class conversations around this topic.
A ecosystem services activity sheet as well as a Farms2Schools virtual farm excursion are coming soon. Subscribe to the PPWCMA enews to be notified when they are available.
Other helpful resources
Below are links to other website that offer useful educational resources for students and teachers.
- Primezone: exploring sustainable practices in food and fibre production
- FoodPrint Melbourne: biomes and food security
- Australia Eggs: primary school resources
- Australia Eggs: secondary school resources
- Dairy Australia: discover dairy curriculum resources
- Apple and Pear Industry: apple varieties, growing region and seasons
- Grains Research and Development Corporation: lesson plans for secondary students
- AUSVEG Consumer Resource Centre: videos. vegetable educational resources for all ages
- Phenomenon: lessons and videos focused on vegetables, nutrition and science
- Junior Landcare: Just for Kids resources focused on food production biodiversity, waste management and Indigenous perspectives