29 July 2016
Expressions of interest are being sought for passionate and enthusiastic women keen to bring their skills, knowledge and expertise to the formation of a committee in preparation for hosting the Women on Farms Gathering in 2018 on the Mornington Peninsula.
A diverse range of skills and knowledge will be needed to create an organised and passionate committee. Membership is not limited to farming women so please feel free to send us your EOI outlining your skills and interests; whether they be financial, legal, event management, marketing, leadership or community service. We would love to hear from you!
A committee of at least 15 women will be needed to ensure a well organised event in March 2018. Meetings will be held monthly (date, time and location set by the committee to compliment work/family commitments of the members. Meetings may increase to fortnightly in Jan-March 2018 as the Gathering approaches.
So, haven’t heard of the Women on Farms Gathering?
- The Women on Farms Gathering is an important annual celebration that recognises and promotes the contribution and experiences of rural & regional women in their communities. Since 1990, rural women from across Victoria have met annually at Women on Farms Gatherings at different locations across Victoria.
- A fundamental goal of Gatherings is to enable every woman to count and be valued for her contribution to her business and community. Women on Farms Gatherings encourage women to step through the farm gate and become more visible in their chosen interests, dreams, ambitions, and goals.
- The focus of a gathering is on women who are interested in agriculture (of all ages and stages in life), with Gatherings open to all interested rural, regional and peri-urban women. Gatherings normally attract around 250 attendees and provide an opportunity to engage with “agribusiness women customers,” both current and potential, from all over the state.
- A Gathering’s focus is on mentoring and networking, through women as role models sharing their experiences and stories. These, together with attendance at the offered innovative/creative workshops and tours exploring the local area, are often expressed as “life changing” for participants and foster a deep sense of community.
- Gatherings are run by women, for women, and are designed to be motivating and stimulating, providing opportunity for skills development and personal growth. The content of the Gathering focuses on providing practical or business skills for running farms or other primary production related pursuits as well as building leadership confidence and self-esteem.
- Each Gathering relies on a group of committed volunteers to organise the event, with each community of women organising their own unique Gathering. Being part of the organising committee, regardless of skills or experience, provides members with opportunities to make friends, gain confidence and learn and test new skills in a supportive environment.
If you are interested in joining the committee, complete the Expression of Interest form here. For further information, contact Sarah Halligan (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Karen Thomas (email@example.com) or phone (03) 8781 7900.